Entrance to the Nevada Proving Ground, 1951

Following the end of World War Two, the US Government moved its nuclear weapons test site from the Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean to Frenchman's Flat, NV, which became known as the Nevada Proving Ground, or the Nevada Test Site. This site saw the mass testing of nuclear weapons by the UNited States in the so-called "Atomic Age" of the 1950s, and spurred the development and produciton of nuclear weapons, as well as research into the civilian applications for nuclear technologies, such as power plants.

Image from Life Magazine.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/nevadatestsite